Lions was started to help people less fortunate than the members in their own communities. Very quickly this was changed to helping people anywhere who needed help and support.
The Trowbridge Community Service Committee do concentrate most of their efforts on helping people in our own community and especially the following groups:
For families and in particular the children, who may in one way or another, be disadvantaged.
* Coach trips each year to Paulton’s Park.
* A visit to Trowbridge Pantomime for 130 children in January
* A Food Voucher given to 30 families at Christmas to help them enjoy the festivities.
For the Homeless of Trowbridge.
* Along with other organisations we take our turn on the Soup Run, twice a month, providing soup, sandwiches, and a hot drink.
* Fund and serve the Christmas Dinner for the homeless at their day centre.
For the Elderly and Disabled
Each Lion looks after a few elderly people (our Grannies):
* Visiting occasionally and taking a card and gift at Christmas;
* Taking them on outings to the Trowbridge Operatic Shows
* Car drives followed by a Fish and Chip Supper
* For the Disabled a Trip on the Barbara McLellan barge on the canal.
* Organise, cook, serve and entertain at the Spring into Summer dinner.
* For the younger disabled we organise and cook a BBQ for the Gateway Club in July, last year catering for 135 people.
We make a monthly donation to the Dorothy House Home Carers Support Team covering a substantial percentage of their costs for Trowbridge.
We respond to a great number of very varied personal appeals and when we can’t help we guide the appealers to other local sources of help.
Nationally and Internationally
When it comes to meeting challenges, our response is simple: We serve. In 207 countries, in hospitals and senior centers, in regions battered by natural disaster, in schools and eyeglass recycling centers, Lions are doing community volunteer work, helping, leading, planning and supporting. Because we’re local, we can serve the unique needs of the communities we live in. And because we’re global, we can address challenges that go beyond borders.
We want everyone to see a better tomorrow. That’s why we support sight programs and services including vision screenings, eye banks and eyeglass recycling. Provide eye care services to those at risk of losing their sight. And raise donations through campaigns like SightFirst and Campaign SightFirst II.
We believe everyone deserves a healthy life. From providing health programs that focus on hearing loss to supporting efforts to control and prevent diabetes, Lions volunteers are working to improve the health of children and adults around the world.
We empower the next generation. Whether it’s providing youth volunteer opportunities and leadership experiences in a Leo club or sharing a message of peace through our Peace Poster contest, our youth programs invest in the future by reaching out to young people.
We serve local communities – and protect the planet. From performing hands-on community work and service projects to providing emergency assistance, our community and environment programs improve our communities – and protect the environment.